Let your light shine
Let us first read the parable of the ten virgins. Jesus tells us a lot in this parable, but we will today look at the oil and the light.
(1) “Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who TOOK THEIR LAMPS and went out to meet the bridegroom. (2) Five of them were FOOLISH, and five were PRUDENT.
(3) For when the foolish took their lamps, they took NO OIL with them, (4) but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.
(5) Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they ALL GOT DROWSY and began to SLEEP. (6) But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ (7) Then ALL those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.
(8) The foolish said to the prudent, ‘Give us SOME OF YOUR OIL, for our LAMPS ARE GOING OUT.’ (9) But the prudent answered, ‘No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and BUY SOME FOR YOURSELVES.’
(10) And while they were going away to make the purchase, THE BRIDEGROOM CAME, and those WHO WERE READY WENT IN WITH HIM to the wedding feast; and THE DOOR WAS SHUT. (11) Later the other virgins also came, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open up for us.’ (12) But he answered, ‘Truly I say to you, I DO NOT KNOW YOU.’
(13) Be on the ALERT then, for YOU DO NOT KNOW THE DAY NOR THE HOUR.
A very well known parable.
Most of you will also know that oil stands here for the Holy Spirit.
But many will be confused about the amount of oil.
Many of us understand that the foolish did not bring reserve oil, but it clearly says that they had no oil with them.
You have oil, or you haven’t. You can’t have a little bit of oil; you can’t have a little bit of God’s Spirit. You have it or you don’t. Like a woman can also not be a little bit pregnant. She is, or she isn’t.
In the darkness, yes, maybe the darkest our of the night, the OIL HAS TO BURN TO GIVE LIGHT.
Likewise GOD’S SPIRIT must be BURNING IN US, so we can spread the light in this world that gets darker continually.
Jesus also said (in Matthew 5:14-16) that we have to let our light shine.
(14) “YOU are the light of the world. A city set on a hill CANNOT BE HIDDEN; (15) nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it GIVES LIGHT TO ALL who are in the house.
(16) LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and GLORIFY YOUR FATHER who is in heaven.
We saw that WE HAVE TO SHINE OUR LIGHT and that to shine our light into this dark world, we CANNOT STAY HIDDEN and WE NEED HIS SPIRIT (oil).
We also saw that WE NEED LIGHT (and so oil – His Spirit) TO ENTER the wedding feast and that we have to BE PREPARED. i.e. HAVE THE SPIRIT, SHINE OUR LIGHT, and BE ON TIME.
Let our deeds be such that the world will GLORIFY OUR FATHER because of them.
TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY, now and for ever.