⁵For those who are according to the flesh set their MINDS on the THINGS OF THE FLESH, but those who are according to the SPIRIT, the THINGS OF THE SPIRIT.
What is the principle of your walk?
• Are you walking according to the flesh?
• Or are you walking according to the Spirit?
From which are you living?
• Are you living from, and in the ways of your old nature?
• Or are you living from, and in the ways of your new nature?
• Are you living from, and in corruption?
• Or are you living from, and in grace?
Which of these do you equip in your life?
By which of these are you governed?
• Which way do your thoughts move, with most pleasure?
• Which way do your plans and skills go, to bring about something?
• Are you most interested in the world, or for your soul?
Those that live in pleasure are dead, as we read in 1 Timothy 5:6:
But she who gives herself to wanton pleasure is dead, even while she lives.
Those that are led by the Spirit of God mind
• the favour of God,
• the welfare of the soul,
• and the concerns of eternity.
It is good to check on ourselves sometimes, to see where we are. For the Bible tells us that
⁶the mind set on the FLESH is DEATH, but the mind set on the SPIRIT is LIFE AND PEACE, ⁷because the mind set on the FLESH is HOSTILE TOWARD GOD; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, ⁸and THOSE WHO ARE IN THE FLESH CANNOT PLEASE GOD.
The unrenewed will is UNABLE to keep any commandment. And we know that the law not only requires OUTWARD DUTIES, but besides that also INWARD OBEDIENCE.
The carnal mind is not only an enemy to God, but it is enmity itself, as it is full of sin.
The CARNAL MAN may, by the power of divine grace, be made subject to the law of God, but the CARNAL MIND never can; that must be broken and driven out.
To be continued