⁸See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
● There is a kind of philosophy which rightly exercises your reasonable faculties.
• It is a study of the works of God, which leads you deeper into the knowledge of God.
• It is a study which, more and more, confirms your faith in Him.
● But there is also a kind of philosophy which is vain and deceitful; this is the kind this verse is warning you for.
• It is the kind that pleases your fancies, but hinders your faith.
• It is the kind that is filled with curious speculations about the things above us, the things that are of no concern to us.
• It is the kind that is filled with the ideas and traditions of men, which only follows the basic principles of the world.
Be warned, and know that those who walk in the way of the world, are walking away from the Christ instead of following Him.
To be continued.