On Saturday October 12th I posted this picture showing the cross being the bridge between a dark world and a bright country, meaning to show the path to heaven, or maybe even heaven itself.
I added the following text to it: “There is a beautiful symbolic meaning in this picture, but there is also some things wrong. Who can tell me what they are? If you understood what I wrote the last weeks, you will know.”
A few reactions followed but also questions. And those questions I like to answer in this message.
● IT IS TRUE
○ It is true that there is only one way to heaven and our Father.
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
To ever stand before God, and live, we need Jesus!
I have only seen a very, very small glimpse of His overwhelming love and grace, and I felt the warmth of it over me. And even at this small glimpse there remained no strength in me, not even to raise a hand towards Him.
○ It is true that it is only by the cross, and the sacrifice Jesus brought there for us, that we can come close to God.
Behind the second veil there was a tabernacle which is called the Holy of Holies
³⁷And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. ³⁸And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
▪︎Nobody of the people could ever come into the holy of holies. Only the high priest was allowed; and even he only once a year.
▪︎Nobody of the people could ever come near the holiness of God. But from the very moment Jesus died for us, the veil was torn, and the way to come close to God was open.
What an enormous grace that our almighty God opened the way to Him, and that He in His Son provided a door to enter into His glory.
● IT IS NOT TRUE
Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
○ There is no indication in the Bible that the cross serves like a kind of bridge over the hell.
○ There is no indication in the Bible that hell is positioned as a gap between earth and heaven.
○ There is no indication in the Bible that hell is bordering heaven, there is a great chasm between them.
²³In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
²⁶And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’
○ There is no indication in the Bible that you can do anything, to go (to walk, as in this picture) towards heaven using your own strength or abilities. It is all grace, a gift, and absolutely nothing of ourselves.
⁸For by grace you have been saved through faith; and [even] that [faith is] not of yourselves, [but] it is the gift of God; ⁹[and you have] not [been saved] as a result of [your] works, so that no one may boast.
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.
But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.