Well let us first understand the word ‘holy’.
The word holy is translated from the Greek word αγιος hagios (pronounced as hag’-ee-os) which in its turn comes from αγος hagos, meaning “an awful thing”.
This has not to do with the word “ugly” but more with causing fear, so “hagios” also breathes “extremely holy”, so holy that it causes fear.
But what is holy?
Holy means sacred (pure, morally blameless, or consecrated). It is translated as (most) holy (one, thing), or saint.
In Leviticus 11:44-45 we read that God demanded from His people that they should be holy, because He is holy.
(44) I am the Lord your God. CONSECRATE yourselves therefore, and BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY…. (45) For I am the Lord …. thus YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.
Isn’t this an impossible task?
To be sacred?
To be pure?
To be morally blameless?
To live consecrated to Him?
To live like a saint?
Well without having the Lord Jesus Christ in your life you will fail sooner or later, no matter how hard you try, or how much energy you put into it.
Let us read what Jesus tells us in John 15:1-6. There He says:
(1) “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
(2) EVERY BRANCH in Me that does NOT bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.
(3) YOU ARE ALREADY CLEAN BECAUSE OF THE WORD which I have spoken to you.
(4) ABIDE IN ME, AND I IN YOU. As the branch CANNOT bear fruit OF ITSELF unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you UNLESS you ABIDE IN ME.
(5) I am the vine, you are the branches; he who ABIDES IN ME AND I IN HIM, he bears much fruit, for APART FROM ME YOU CAN DO NOTHING.
(6) If anyone does NOT abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them INTO THE FIRE and they are burned.
So when the juices (Holy Spirit) of the true vine (Jesus) flow through the branches (us) they are really one with Him. Only then, the branches will fully come to their PURPOSE and BEAR FRUIT.
Now try to grasp this, (read it twice if you need to).
When the Holy Spirit truly works IN US and when we, like the branches, are CONNECTED to Jesus, who is also holy, and we are ALIVE and BEAR FRUIT, because His juice (the Holy Spirit) is feeding us, than we, with the juice (the Holy Spirit) also receive from His holiness.
Paul wrote this to the Romans with the following words: “If the root be holy, so are the branches”. (Romans 11:16)
So, to comply with God’s word to be holy, we need the Holy Spirit; and we need to stay in the Christ and He in us.
It also means that when we don’t stay in Jesus, His juices (Holy Spirit) will no longer keep us alive, and we will be like dead wood that is good for nothing, and end up in the fire.
Well my friends I call on you to stay in the Christ, so He can give you all you need to bear fruit, and be holy, so you are able to honor your God, in and through your life.
PS. Make it your habit to check out my website, as without any good reason my pages or account on Facebook may be gone again.
Bookmark the devotionals or add it to your homescreen. https://devotionals.harryschoemaker.nl
(Ligt, doordat het niet meer gelezen werd, momenteel even stil)
Twitter: Twitter: @SchoemakerHarry