For ye have not received
the spirit of bondage again to fear;
but ye have received
the Spirit of adoption,
whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
Between civil and sacred adoption there is a two-fold agreement and disagreement.
They agree in this,
- Both flow from the pleasure and good will of the adoptant;
- Both confer a right to privileges which we have not by nature.
But they differ in this:
- One is an act imitating nature,
- The other transcends nature
- The one was found out for the comfort of them that had no children,
- The other for the comfort of them that had no Father.
Divine adoption is in Scripture either taken properly for that act or sentence of God by which we are made sons, or for the privileges with which the adopted are invested.
- We lost our inheritance by the fall of Adam:
- we receive it by the death of Christ, which restores it again to us by a new and better title.
Read more of these messages at: https://devotionals.harryschoemaker.nl
Download your Bible pictures from: http://bijbelplaatjes.nl
Follow me on Twitter: @schoemakerharry