Matthew 7:3-5 NASB
³Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? ⁴Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? ⁵You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
- Finding fault in someone else is so easy for most of us.
- Finding fault in ourselves is much trickier.
Jesus reminds us that we must deal with the shortcomings and sins in our own lives before we start telling others how to live.
Seems pretty simple, doesn’t it?
But we all know it isn’t.
- Ask God to forgive you when you are severe, harsh, and judgmental toward others.
- Ask God to help you to see the problems in your own life that need the work of His Holy Spirit.
- Confess to God that there are routine sins that you find yourself excusing for, more and more.
- Ask the Lord to forgive your sins and to empower you to move beyond them.